So we have officially been parents for two weeks. The initial gift giving of food, flowers, and friendly visits have ended. The parents have gone home (as in we aren't being cared for, but Chris' parents come visit Monty weekly!) and we are navigating these waters ourselves. Well with the assistance of many texts and the internet.
The joys of breast feeding came immediately. He wasn't even a week old before I was able to experience engorgement at it's highest level. I was able to call the "hotline" the hospital offers to get some assistance (which was much needed as I was getting conflicting advice from all the previous mothers). They werre very helpful and I have needed those tips even this week- as the issue continues to rear it's ugly head as we fine tune feedings.
We were able to make a second appointment at the pediatrician this week. Monty now weights 7lbs 8 oz. That chunker has managed to gain back his birth weight and then some! He was in the 40th percentile for length and 50th for weight. The nurse practitioner cleared us to start tummy time and gave some other suggestions for his dry skin. The big "issue" was his reflux. For that we should go back a bit...
On Sunday we were supposed to have our baby photo shoot. The photographer came to the house and set up. Prior to his arrival, Monty had lossed the contents of his breakfast over the course of a few spit ups. When she tried to work with him he was tired, hungry, cold (because he was stripped down to his diaper for the cute baby pictures), and appeared to be in pain. I had started to suspect reflux, but on the day we scheduled the images to capture his "newness" he had the worst day of his life. He was pretty much unconsolable. We tried feeding him and rocking him, swaddling and rocking....all was a failure. After two hours and not a single photo, we decided to reschedule for this weekend. I had Chris move the Tuesday appointment at the pediatrician to Monday. I wanted this baby to get some relief as soon as possible.
In the mean time I altered his feeding schedule to shorter meals and added in an extra feeding to make up for the reduced intake. I kept him at an angle during feedings and for 30 minutes afterwards to reduce the reflux symptoms. All of this with the Prevacid he is now taking is working wonders. He is still having some vomiting, but not nearly as much as he doesn't sppear to be pained.
We have gotten into some routine with our lives for this current 3 hour cycle of feedings, playing, and sleepting. Following Baby Wise has been genious for us as we like having the routine and knowing.
Two weeks in and it seems like we have been living this life so much longer...
Again, I have images to upload after we have changed the security settings on the blog. If you are interested in maintaining access please let me know so I can share the password with you :)
Yay for baby Monty and schedules! The kids and I couldn't live without our routines.
ReplyDeletePlease count me in on blog updates! I'd love to keep in touch now that I am off FB.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Monty is a doll and he's lucky to have 2 such dedicated, smart, and loving parents. :) XO